Job Title: Legal and Risk Specialist
Department: Corporate Governance
Reports to Executive Director: Group Corporate Governance
Short Job Description of the Position
The Legal and Risk Specialist role is a highly pressured, fast-paced role that requires strong leadership, communication, technical and legal and risk expertise.
The main purpose of the Legal and Risk Specialist function is to:
1.be a proactive corporate early-legal risk detector, risk mitigator, and problem solver; and
2.act to identify commercial risks within the business through well-crafted legal advice, analysis, review and/or drafting of contracts and other documentation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES Describe all the main functions that your position is accountable for (Key accountabilities)
1. Provide legal advice, including legal opinions and litigation advice to management on ongoing legal issues/matters.
2. Review all contracts or any other documentation where the Group has committed itself and assess the legal implications that need to be brought to management’s attention. Review of contracts with a deep understanding of and highlighting the Group’s business risks.
3. Review and draft all Group policies with relevant Group Heads to ensure compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
4. Draft contracts, terms and conditions, policies and any other legal documents, which includes Financial Services/Legal Policy Marketing Material before being published.
5. Contract File Management to ensure that final signed versions of contracts are filed, as well as file renewals and meeting contractual conditions, etc. Ensuring that all case files are maintained and regularly updated
6. Manage ad-hoc legal and risk requirements.
7. Analyse future risks associated with the business, which includes any current and/or draft legislation that could impact the business.
8. Despatch incoming and outgoing correspondence for legal advisors.
9. General Administration: Attend to general administrative tasks associated with legal matters, insurance administration, audit and due diligence etc.
10. Assist with Group Company Secretarial functions including administration and drafting resolutions.
11. Keep up to date with latest legal and risk legislation and publications to inform business regularly. Identification of existing and emerging legislation relevant to the Group’s business and ensure that risks that may arise from compliance requirements are well understood by the business. This includes influencing new legislative developments via industry bodies to shape new legislation.
1. Expert in reviewing and drafting legal contracts and policy documents. Brilliant writing skills, including policy drafting experience. Expert analyst of legal and business risks that includes a sound understanding of business strategies with the outcomes to be achieved.
Experience in understanding commercial aspects of business and analysing risks together with proactive and mitigation strategies.
3-5 plus years post admission including legal and risk experience inhouse at a corporate.
Preferably a BCOMM Law degree.
Experience in company secretarial functions.
6. Internal and external stakeholder management.
Effective communicator at an executive level
High emotional resilience
Strong Attention to detail
Strong sense of urgency
Forward thinking, complete thinking, creative thinking and methodical approach
Working hours:General office hours
Salary:R50 000-R60 000