Research and Development Engineer -Durban
Engineering & Technical
Research and Development Engineer
Experience & Qualification:
Experience, qualifications and competency requirements:
- Minimum BSc/BEng Computer or Electronic Engineering degree.
- 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Significant and demonstratable experience in:
- Designing embedded system software for microcontrollers and its architectures (Atmel AVR, TI MSP430, Microchip PIC, STM32 ARM, Nordic nRF).
- C programming and the reliable implementation of firmware for standalone and remote device operations
- GSM/GPRS/SMS modems and communication GSM & LTE networks interfaces
- Communication protocols (TCP/IP stacks, IP, SPI, WiFi, Bluetooth, USB, MQTT, UART, RS485, AWS communications)
- Testing of embedded firmware-based products
- RF-based development experience beneficial (443MHz / 868MHz / Lora/Sigfox )
- Experience in SQL Server
- Experience using RTOS like FreeRTOS, ucLinux, Micrium uC/OS-II.
- Experience in application development experience using Java, C++ and/or C#
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Deliver firmware and hardware projects on time, in budget, with the desired functionality, at the defined quality level in a sustainable way.
- New product firmware design, implementation, and testing.
- Analyze and design of hardware and firmware, while collaborating with other team members.
- Meet best practice criteria in the evaluation and testing of hardware and firmware.
- Define test parameters for production testing.
- Complete work orders and assistance requests in appropriate timescales.
- Maintain and enhance firmware without introducing new defects.
- Enhance firmware and systems to support and move to new technologies.
- Error investigation and reporting.
- Corrective action design and implementation.
- Share knowledge with development and support teams.
- Document systems, including enhancements to facilitate knowledge sharing.
- When relevant, mentor and coach Junior Developers.
- Ensure that the best practice development processes and standards are followed.
- Effective use of development toolset.
- Follow department development process.
- Preparing any required documentation needed.
- Any other tasks assigned by Management