Supply Boat Skipper
The position of Supply Boat Skipper entails the full scope of responsibilities of a commercial skipper in charge of a supply vessel. The Senior Supply Boat skipper reports directly to the Supply Vessel Manager.
The role includes:
- Skippering of the vessel
- Management of required maintenance activities
- Managing the crew of the vessel, as well as
- Coordinating the commercial activities of the vessel.
- Skippering a commercial supply vessel
- Coordinating the commercial activities of the vessel ie arranging operations as per clients requirements, delivery of goods to the vessel, Customs and Immigration formalities
- Managing the vessel crew. This includes maintaining mandatory certification as well as identifying and promoting crew advancement.
- Managing the maintenance requirements of the vessel in a planned and cost-effective manner.
Qualifications and requirements (Minimum Requirements)
- Category ‘B’ commercial skippers’ ticket
- Radio operators’ certificate
- Commercial weapons competency certificate
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working on supply vessels in the position of skipper
- Ability to relocate to different working locations on short notice
- Clear SAMSA approved medical certificate
- Proficiency in Microsoft ie Word / Excel
- Valid STCW certificates
- Valid Marine Safety Officers certificate
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing tasks.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable in fulfilling obligations.
- Leadership — Job requires a willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Self-Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
Working hours are variable due to the nature of marine operations, it is expected that working overtime/weekends/public holidays etc is understood and acceptable.